Monday, April 27, 2009

April 17-19, 2009 Gyeongju

안 녕

For my last trip in Korea I decided to return to the promise land, Gyeongju. I say return because apparently I visited the area in 1998 with my mom, but don't remember much. I figure I was young and naive so I must have overlooked all the history and culture of Gyeongju. The trip started out nicely though, our train had an aracde, private norebangs(karaoke rooms) and a food & beverage car. This definitely helped since we didn't arrive at our hotel until 4 am. Throughout the entire trip I was reminded of the amazing history of Korea, Bulguksa Temple, Seokgulam Grotto, and Cheomseongdae. The Buddha at Seokgulam Grotto was especially amazing, but I couldn't take any pictures, sorry. It was also a really nice break from being in Seoul: clean fresh air, wide open space, beautiful scenery and we even got to rent bikes. The weather and company also made the trip refreshing. Seventy degrees and sunny all weekend and even though there were eight of us we all got along really well (shout out to Hannah, Brian, Heidi, Angela, Trevor, Judy and Kim). We also had some amazing galbi chim (slow cooked beef), I felt like I was eating all weekend. That doesn't sound like me does it? Enjoy the pics.

Bulguksa Temple

inside Bulguksa Temple

Sokkatap Pagoda

2 of the 4 kings guarding Bulguksa




Cheomseongdae Observatory


No comments: